Motto

Empowerment through Language...

Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Compulsions Drive Me Incessantly




I have many obsessions, compulsions, and inspirational activities. I keep many lists, I like even numbers better than odd, my silverware drawer must be just so at all times.
 
I also incessantly review, revise, and self-edit. So, first things first...I reread my post of the other day and found a great typo, thinking poetically. What should have been eminent domain was posted by my fingers as imminent domain. I like the pun. I am often delighted by puns so this works; however, I wanted to be sure my readers see that I do recognize the difference. 
 
My other obsession is for word games. I adore Scrabble, Super Scrabble, and the game of all games, Boggle. The problem is that these are interactive games that require at least one other player as well as keeping score. My sister-in-law, Susan, introduced me to a new one this week: Bananagrams. It is like Scrabble with no board and you play your own words by yourself, while your other friends create their grids. And the tiles come in a cute little banana pouch that looks like a yellow fanny pack. What more could a word geek ask for? You can play with others or you can play by yourself! Yippee.
 
I have researched E-Bay for the game at a discount but, with shipping, it will be the same as buying new. I know what I want when I have an extra $15 to splurge. I also know how to resolved some holiday gift ideas in December. Ah, yes...I am starting my list. Perhaps I will plan ahead this year. Until then, I will just raid the Scrabble tiles and play with the same concentration that I apply to the many versions of Solitaire that can consume me on a rainy afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. If you ever want a challenge, come over and play boggle with any of my sons. They are ridiculously fast at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invitation. Boggle is like exercise, the more you play, the better you get, the faster and more adeptly the eye makes the connections. It is skill that can be developed. Not so easy for people with dyslexia though, or when you are tired. Thanks for reading too. Hope you will come back.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts and reflections. To avoid spam, I moderate all comments and will only post relevant comments by humans who read this blog.