Motto

Empowerment through Language...

Friday, February 24, 2012

A Brush with Greatness - Part 2


It is hard to believe that it has been a week since Q and I stood in our finery for our photo before entering the Shrine Theater to discover the fate of our book. Anticipation is so much more absorbing than fact. Think about it in your own life. We worry and we hope and once we receive outcomes, all that effort is nullified. I keep trying to live without expectation, anticipation, but it is a human trait so I am not always very successful.

We did not receive the trophy but we gained a great deal in the process and we made some wonderful contacts, as well as shared the experience with family and friends. We will always be able to use the nomination as a marketing tool. We are also always able to say to each other that we knew we were right; if we applied, we would get the nomination. The big machines that support several of our fellow nominees aside, we were in good standing with notable authors as a part of a remarkable program. There are politics involved and we learned a great deal about that as well. But we were there and we attended the big show besides. Quraysh was thrilled beyond belief when Ms. Cicely Tyson said hello as she brushed past his aisle seat. We were both astounded and honored to stand in line for the Red Carpet with the Tuskegee Airmen. Now these were true celebrities, authentic heroes, and living history.

Would I do it again? Yes I would. But I would be much wiser in some of the logistics that such events entail. I would have a publicist ram through the clogs at the velvet rope. And I hope I would bring home the hardware, if I could. On the other hand, I am satisfied and had a terrific time so it was all worth the time, effort, money, and anticipation. Thanks to all who supported me personally to make it possible and to those who have and continue to support this book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and reflections. To avoid spam, I moderate all comments and will only post relevant comments by humans who read this blog.