Motto

Empowerment through Language...

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Contemplating Openness

I consider myself predominantly open-minded and willing to try new things, as well as accept experiences for whatever I encounter, sensing that I will understand it all eventually. Often it is the case.

But sometimes fear stops me like a cork. Sometimes insecurity challenges my confidence and I withdraw or doubt my own capacity or true essence. I become a sealed vessel rather than an wide-lipped bowl.

Years ago, I read A Parenthesis in Eternity, by Joel Goldsmith, who established "The Infinite Way" in 1951. There was one simple statement he made about Grace that has not left me since the day my eyes absorbed the letters on the page. The premise revealed to me that we need not search for Grace like a lost wallet, we need not earn grace like a prize for being best student. Grace is the natural state of being and we are the vessels for it, if we simply open ourselves to receive. It is for this reason that, since then, my prayer is for the highest good for all involved and to be ever open to recognize the Grace that surrounds me always. This practice takes many reminders in my humanness.

I am typing this essay and, to my left, as a reminder of just how big this universe is, I am streaming the view from the International Space Station. I have started doing my best to watch it pass when the orbit allows it to fly over my house. I always wave. It is magical.

I am also reading Commander Chris Hadfield's book, An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. I have been singing "Space Oddity" and wondering if I could ever face the fear  go into space. I am pretty certain I am quite comfortable right here in my livingroom command chair.

I was thinking of the tin can of a transatlantic jet that carried the Hendricks Chapel entourage to Turkey and delivered them safely. All ten are there to embrace the history of human spirit in expression of the divine in so many different languages and traditions. They are open to newness, tol confirmation, and to truth. They will share their discoveries with anyone who cares to follow their steps on line.

I will gain by their actions. I already have. All of this and more is how Grace displays its presence. We just have to be wide-eyed, ears attuned, fingers exploring always. Today is what we have and what we are. Knowing this, we reach for our highest good.
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and reflections. To avoid spam, I moderate all comments and will only post relevant comments by humans who read this blog.